Monday, June 19, 2017


Recently the Mini Quilt Trading Swap Flickr group held a swap with the theme Village, Town or House.  What a great theme!  This swap was a secret partner round, and I lucked out and got my dear friend Leslie's name.  Oh, I was so excited!!!  

Took me a little while to decide what to make for her, but there was a happy dance when I settled one something.  As I was paging through the book Houses by Yoko Saito I found a dog house pattern--I knew I'd hit the right idea!  Leslie has a beloved Irish Setter named Ruby, so this is what I made. 

This little quilt is called "In The Doghouse".  It is lightly adapted from the Yoko Saito pattern. 
The quilt itself is about 6 x 5, without the bone. Each mini quilt in the swap must have a label, and my friend Pattiann gave me the idea to make the label in the shape of a dog bone and have it hanging down below the quilt.  

Now usually the label goes on the back of the quilt, but in this case I couldn't do that!
This quilt is reversible!  Here's the back of the dog house.  
You can see that Ruby has a feline friend visiting.  

Creating the house was great fun! The house was made from bits of Liberty of London lawn and polka dotted fabrics from my scrap box.  I used needle turn applique to apply the cotton pieces to the background.  The doggy is made from felted wool and was hand appliqued and embroidered. I love how using extra layers of wool give the dog dimension.  The edges of the ears are lightly frayed to give a fuzzy look.  I added a tiny heart charm as her dog tag.  Since the little quilt is an odd shape I worried that it might be floppy, so I added a layer of Timtex between two layers of lightweight cotton batting. The bone has a layer of Soft & Stable inside. 

To round out the package for Leslie and Ruby, I added treats for them both.  There fat quarters are dog themed prints with text and dog bones.  Ruby got a new toy, a No-Hide beefy bone and a bunch of doggy cookies in Duck and Cheddar flavors.  Since I am a cat person I didn't really know what would be best for Ruby, but luckily I visited Mike's Dog Store and the owner gave me good suggestions.  (If you are a dog person visiting San Antonio, you should check it out!! HERE)

This might just be my favorite mini I've created so far!  Leslie said Ruby enjoyed opening the box as much as she did!  What a great swap!!

Happy Stitching!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Fabulous HANDS2HELP Finish: Coast to Coast Bee Quilt is Complete!

Confessions Of A Fabric Addict

The quilt made from blocks made by my Coast to Coast Quilters Bee Members is finished at last! Isn't it pretty?  I think it is an amazing group effort! This quilt will go to the International Institute in St Louis.  Our group is thrilled to be able to send this quilt to a new immigrant!  We are sending all our hopes that it's new owner will sleep warm & happy under it in his or her new home.  

Pattern: 2 Color Stack N Whack Blocks
Fabrics: from each Bee Member's personal stash
with White Kona for borders. 
Size: 70 x 94
Quilted: by me!
Batting: Quilter's Dream Cotton Select

When it comes to quilting, I am pretty much a one trick pony: Lines.  
Either straight or wavy, but lines it is!  

The backing fabric has gold metallic printing, which gives it a nice gleam.

Taking quilt photos can be pretty hazardous to your health!  We are having a horrible year for mosquitos and I am pretty much eaten up after 15 minutes in the back yard!  Yep, it's true--sometimes you have to suffer for beauty--even of the cotton quilt variety! 

Hope all your quilting is bug bite free!

Fabulous HANDS2HELP Finish: Summer Slices Complete!

Confessions Of A Fabric Addict

My Summer Slices quilt is complete and ready to head out to Happy Chemo!

Name: Summer Slices
Fabric: Sunkissed by Sweetwater for Moda
Size: 49 x 49
Batting: Quilter's Dream Cotton Select
Quilted: by Me!

The Back!

I really like how this little quilt came out.  It's bright and happy and very cuddly. 
 This a greatway to use a layer cake!

Happy Giving!

This quilt is included on my 2nd Quarter 2017 FAL List HERE